Prior to the creation of the Diocese of Liverpool Maghull was in the parish of Halsall in the Diocese of Litchfield and more recently the Diocese of Chester. Originally there was a Chapel of Ease (Ancient Maghull Chapel – ancientchapelmaghull.co.uk) built in the 13th century. The sanctuary and side chapel still remain close to the church and are used for several services and other events throughout the year.
St Andrew’s Church building was consecrated on 8th September 1880, the foundation stone is close to the pulpit. The building is typical of the Victorian era and is Grade 2 Listed. A number of changes have been made to the church since it first opened including a Church Hall added on the south side in the late 20th century with access both from the church and independently. Other additions have seen a screen erected behind the choir stalls to provide a choir vestry and the screening off of the space below the tower which now serves as a Memorial Chapel and children’s area during our main services.
The church contains a number of stained glass windows, tablets in memory of local families and previous incumbents.
Originally the church had a single bell, but in 1918 a peal of 8 bells was installed. These are played through a keyboard located on the first floor of the tower.
The organ was originally transferred from the Ancient Chapel at a cost of £9.17, but was replaced within a few years and the current instrument was installed in 1969.
The Lych Gate is the War Memorial for Maghull for all those who gave their lives in the 1939-45 Second World War and is the focal point for the annual acts of Remembrance in the town.